Back to News

FixmyStreet is a great online tool – you can also download an app used to report things which are broken or dirty or damaged or dumped, and need fixing, cleaning, or clearing, like graffiti, dog fouling, potholes or street lights that don’t work.

It allows you to inform the Council of a problem quickly and easily so they can rectify.

Is this a council website?

No, it isn’t – but FixMyStreet does send your reports direct to your local council.

We also publish them online, so that others in the community can read, discuss, and offer advice where needed.

Then who are you? And why are you doing this?

FixMyStreet is an independent website, built by the charity mySociety. We wanted to make it easier to report problems in your community, even if you don’t know who those reports should go to.

So we made FixMyStreet. All you have to do is type in a postcode – or let the site locate you automatically – and describe your problem. Then we send your report to the people whose job it is to fix it.

FixMyStreet covers the whole of the UK. No matter where you are.

Does Bromley Council read or act on FixMyStreet reports?

They certainly do. Reports sent through FixMyStreet go into the same council email inboxes as reports sent through by any other means.

Councils integrate directly, so we can place report details directly into their systems, saving them time and money.

How do I make a report?

  1. Start at the homepage and type in your postcode or a place name. Not sure where you are? Pick ‘use my location’.
  2. Put the pin in the map to show exactly where the problem is, and type in a description of the issue. Then send.
  3. Check your email inbox for our confirmation mail, click on the link, and job done.

What can I report?

FixMyStreet is primarily for reporting things which are broken or dirty or damaged or dumped, and need fixing, cleaning, or clearing, like graffiti, dog fouling, potholes or street lights that don’t work.

What shouldn’t I report?

For problems that might put people in immediate danger, like gas leaks or falling trees, please contact your council or the appropriate utility company or emergency service directly – by phone if possible.

We often route problem reports via cleansing services or highways maintenance departments, so using FixMyStreet for urgent matters may result in a delay in your report getting to the right department.

Non-physical things: For issues such as noise pollution, barking dogs, fires, missing wheelie bins or missed rubbish collections, proposals for speed bumps or pedestrian crossings, or complaining about the council itself, please contact the council directly.

Are reports public?

Yes they are, When you submit your report, we send it to the council, and we also publish it on the website. Your council will respond directly to you, and from that point on, your correspondence is one-to-one.

For that reason, we suggest that you don’t include personal details such as addresses and phone numbers until you are in direct communication.

Why are reports public?

Putting your reports online has several benefits. Others can quickly see what has already been reported, so it prevents the council from having to deal with duplicates.

It also creates a snapshot for local communities, so it’s easy to see what the common problems are in a given area, and how quickly they get fixed. Other local residents can browse, read and comment on problems – and perhaps even offer a solution.

Why do I have to give my name and an email address?

For a few reasons: firstly, we need your email address so that the council can get back to you.

Also, messages sent via FixMyStreet go into council systems. In most cases a full name is a mandatory field, and your report may be rejected without it.

Finally, we find that when users are asked to provide contact details, the tone of their correspondence tends to be more constructive and less abusive.

We don’t publish your email address, and you can opt to submit your report anonymously – just uncheck the ‘show my name publicly’ box on submission. This will mean that your name is not displayed on the FixMyStreet website, although it is still sent to the council.

If you want to anonymise a report you made in the past, sign in to your account and you’ll see a ‘Hide your name?’ option on the report.


For more information please contact

Cllr Mike Jack
Cllr Mark Smith
Cllr Alison Stammers